Thursday, September 13, 2012

Hey everybody, hope life is well for all of you. Here are some pictures from my latest adventures in the Afghanistan.
 I love the smell of jet fuel in the morning...
 This is on the New Zealand FOB. Can you imagine coming from the green lush scenery of New Zealand to arid desert Afganistan? Those guys have dedication, and they're fed well, I know from experience.
 Smile Hojie, I can see you in the dark... Even though its not dark right now, I just look like a pimpin stealy eyed killer with my NVGs.
(That may just be the apache pilot arrogance in me sneaking out. Also, I may have broken some english rules with that many adjectives chained together in one sentence,
sorry Mom)
A-10's at Bagram Airforce Base. I had to through this one in for Tom. Eat your heart out man.
 Can you say tight canyon? And yes we went through, not over... something about the engineers needing a "route reconassaince" at "no more than 200'." Anything for the mission.  
 One of the many castles that mother nature has started to take back.
 Where the Bahmian Budah statues used to be before the Taliban decided that they were "idols" and blew them up in 2001. Built in ~600 AD and carved directly out of the rock face. The hole it left is still pretty impressive.
 Its almost like back home at the wedge. You even here random gunfire.
 Ghengis Khan castle near Bahmian. If you look close it looks like people still live in the caves around the base.
 Look, I can make an Apache completely dissapear...
 Guess who found the ONE ditch on the entire landing area and picked it to set down in. Thats right, the black hawk pilot.
 Now he's trying to make up for it bystanding in front of a real aircraft.
 Hmmm, somethings not quite right with this background...
 Okay, we're good now.
 Another castle, this one in pretty good condition.
 Closer picture of the Ghengis Kahn Castle.
Smile, you're on Al'Jazir.
You want to take a picture of me? I'll take a picture of you.
 
As a bonus to checking the family blog and sending me an email, I am willing bring anybody back a souvenir, you just have to let me know what you want, other wise I'm just bringing rocks. I sent Kristen some stuff if you want to see what I can get ask her.
Till next time,
Tel
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. LOVE this post! I love the pictures AND the commentary. LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really is an awesome post and these are amazing pictures. So, the New Zealand FOB is where the New Zealanders operate? Or you got to go to New Zealand? (It doesn't look like New Zealand, but...)

    THose castles are amazing. And that Buddha statue hole is, too! It is too bad it is such a war torn country - it looks like it would be such an interesting place to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And where do they get their water? The green is SO green and lush looking, it is just amazing against the desolation of the mountains. Perhaps it is because the mountains are so desolate that it looks so green...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish that they would send me to New Zealand. Each contry in Afganstan has its own territory that they are responsible to operate in. That FOB was owned by the New Zealanders. We also flew to one owned by the Lithuanians. I didn't even know that they were in Afganistan... or that they were our allies? But they sure fed us well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you're having a good time. Thanks for uploading these pics!:)

    ReplyDelete